tiistai 18. huhtikuuta 2017

Importance of LinkedIN

LinkedIn in social media and networking platform for people working life. Like Facebook but for business. LinkenIn was launched in May 2003, it is mainly used for professional networking, including employers posting jobs and job seekers posting their CVs. One story short; LinkedIn is your CV online, and it makes networking and job seeking easier.

There are ways to level up your LinkedIn profile and if you don't already have a LinkedIn I highly recommend you to sign up, since that may change the direction of your career and have a high impact on it.

Let's have a concrete example. On February, I was a second year BBA student with a background in graphic design. On 3th or April, I started on my dream job, at Microsoft Finland.

I received a message on LinkedIn on February that I might be a talent that Microsoft Uni Recruiting team was looking for and they recommended me to apply. And I did apply and I got the job. Since they had already been interested in me, it higher up my chances to get the job, or at least I think so that it did.

So a well made and thought LinkedIn profile may get you a job. I put together couple tips and tricks I have learned over the years I have used LinkedIn and pass on the knowledge I was told by my ex-colleague when I first started filing down my profile.


Starting with the picture. Use a professional picture of yourself. Any picture you took of yourself in not a professional looking picture, so no selfieYourYou profile has been proven to get 11 times more views when you add pictures. the general rules apply to this one too, I hate to repeat myself, but avoid using blurry, old, or anyway else bad pictures of yourself. Think about what the picture tells you. In a creative side of business, the common ground for this a is a bit more flexible, but I chose to use professional looking picture too.

Add a summary of yourself. There you can summarize your working history, your skills or just tell about yourself more like about your hobbies and passions, link your social medias or a blog here.


Add a tagline. By this, I mean the short tagline that is located under your profile picture. As a default, this is usually your most recent job title. A tagline can be your title or phrase like "looking for new opportunities." It is the headline that other users see first, so make sure it's on the point.  The tagline should never be over 10 words, so it is still readable and useful. If you want to tell something more about yourself, fill in the summary.



Fill in your job and study history. The trick is to use titles that LinkedIn recommends and finds because this tables the recruiters to search people by titles and makes it easier to find you. You can add times you worked there or check the box for "I currently work here". That makes the job pop up in the list. You can also move those titles and organize them as you like. I recommend to put to most relevant one the highest, so it stands out.

Add your professional skills. You can add up 30 of them and LinkedIn will showcase you to 10 based the on a number of endorsements that your skill has or the order you have organized them. If you haven't done that yet, you are missing out an opportunity to optimize your profile for specific keywords and get quick endorsements. With the job titles, thise are an important part of your profile if your want to be found. Ask to be endorsed, so your friends and co-workers and endorse the skill they think you have. In the addition, Return the favor.


Showcase Specialized Certifications. If you haven’t completed a higher-education degree, the certifications section allows you to showcase your specialized educational achievements within your industry. Also, add your projects. That section is actually specially made for students who don't have much working experience or education, so make sure to add projects you have done to showcase your expertise.  To showcase more expertise ask and give recommendations. Time of recommendation letters is really over. Ask your boss or coworker to write you a recommendation on LinkedIn to showcase how you work in a team or on your skills. Maybe ask your school mate to write you a recommendation and write them a one in return.


When you filed down your profile, join groups that are valuable for your industry. For example, I am part of Social media Marketing group and have found very interesting ebooks and tips from there.

Last but not least; add everyone you know, your schoolmates, your coworkers, your boss. Network can really land you a job next time. 



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti